Thursday, November 16, 2006

Barcode Archaeology

A friend passed this article about bogus barcode patents along to me. This campaign focuses on NeoMedia's claims of inventing scanning barcodes to visit web sites and other online databases. Yeah right...

It struck a chord with me because I have an issue with bogus patents and patent trolls in general but it really hits home when it's about barcodes. Once again, follow the bouncing ball, repeat after me: barcodes are based on open, non-proprietary specifications, global specifications. The system works around the world between trading partners sight unseen because we all agree to and honor open, non-proprietary standards. Misuse of these shared protocals is a grave sin.

I explain things in detail in this white paper, Barcodes: From Jargon to Slang. Don't take my word for it, look at the pictures.

Please support the EFF's The Patent Busting Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment